From snow slides to heat stroke

New DM algebra teacher becoming a student favorite

STUDENTS MASTER TRIG IDENTITIES: Classmates Audrey Workman (11), Dunkin Tisserand (11), and Jake Goar (11) are actively listening to the importance of radians and measuring radians.  “I like how the class isn’t stressful, even though we are learning hard concepts, ” said Jake Goar. The students are preparing for a cumulative exam April 14.

Kara Hairston

STUDENTS MASTER TRIG IDENTITIES: Classmates Audrey Workman (11), Dunkin Tisserand (11), and Jake Goar (11) are actively listening to the importance of radians and measuring radians. “I like how the class isn’t stressful, even though we are learning hard concepts, ” said Jake Goar. The students are preparing for a cumulative exam April 14.

Kara Hairston, Reporter

The “Stanley Cup”. Patrick Mahomes. And, well, bananas.

While random, these all in their own way help explain the popularity of Ms. Moskovich, DM’s new Algebra II and Algebra II Honors teacher. 

Previously teaching in New Jersey, Ms. Moskovich slowly adjusted to the difficult transition between two contrasting environments. Arizona being one of the hottest states and New Jersey being one of the coldest.

“The heat…adjusting to Arizona is very challenging,” Ms. Moskovich said, “but worth it because of the beautiful scenery.”

Before moving to Arizona, Moskovich attended  St. Joseph University to receive her bachelor’s in Mathematics. She also taught at Kushner Academy, also in New Jersey.  “I loved it there but it was time for a change,” she said..

Moskovich is ecstatic about the difference in schools.

“I mean Desert Mountain is a really nice school,” said Moskovich, “I love looking at the mountain views.” 

Her favorite part of teaching? “Summer break,” quips Moskovich, showing the type of humor her students enjoy. 

“She is so funny without even trying,” said Vivian Adamucci (11). 

Said Ms. Moskovich: “In all seriousness, I want to fill the void of needing to help.”

Finding Stanley 

‘GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN’: Ms. Moskovich’s “Stanley Cup”, her beloved water bottle, turned up missing recently. “It was a tragedy, (Stanley) is gone but not forgotten,” said Moskovich, who would welcome Stanley’s safe return. (Ms. Moskovich)

Despite the fact that Ms. Moskovich recently joined the staff, she has had her fair share of funny moments in the classroom. A while back, Moskovich “lost” her Stanley Cup–not the famed National Hockey League trophy, but her favorite water bottle. 

“I was with my daughter in the hospital and I came back the next day and it was gone,” said Moskovich, “I realized that someone had to have walked into my classroom and taken it.”

Ms. Moskovich didn’t let this person get away with the subtle act of disrespect. She proceeded to post a “news” story on her Google classroom stream to notify all of her classes that she knew and she wanted “Stanley” to be returned “ASAP”.

“Yes, it was an awful thing that someone did, but the way that Ms. Moskovich got to the bottom of it was so funny,” said Hailey Glicksman (10). Sadly, however, the culprit was never brought to justice.

“It was a tragedy, (Stanley) is gone but not forgotten,” said Moskovich.

A look into the classroom

Her class, meanwhile, is anything but tragic.

“I really enjoy Ms. M’s class,” said Peter Cipra (10), “she breaks down our textbook so we can understand it.” 

During a recent class, even her Patrick Mahomes lockscreen is a source of humor. “She is hilarious,”  said Leanna Kierian (11), who walked up to Ms. Moskovich’s desk during class

Explained Ms. Moskovich:  “Well, I tend to root for sports teams with players that look similar to me… He’s my homie.” 

These personal touches are appreciated by students. 

“I like how she treats us like we are equals instead of children,” said Hailey Glicksman (10). “I also like how it challenges me–and it helps that the teacher is funny.”

And, Ms. Moskovich has been known to mutter banana related phrases while writing; likely inspired by her two young children who are three and one years old.

Not surprisingly, it is these interactions with students that fires Ms. Moskovich’s passion for teaching. “It is really hard to stand up and teach a lesson when the same people raise their hand,” said Moskovich. 

“When they answer math questions their answers are always interesting,” said Moskovich. “So, I love teaching because of the ongoing amusement that I can have with my students while helping them.”