DM sports is back

Injuries, COVID remain concerns

Matthew Colvin, Staff writer

With high school sports returning this fall, parents, students and coaches are raising concerns about the health and safety of the student-athletes participating in sports in the coming months.

Though sports are an integral part of the high school experience and could return this fall with “certain precautions and safety measures,” many still wonder whether a full season could be completed safely.

“It’s unrealistic to believe that the athletes will adhere to the guidelines,” said Aiden Ransick, member of DM’s lacrosse club.

During the last few months, the Scottsdale Unified School District and Arizona Interscholastic Association designed a plan to return high school sports this fall through a four-phase plan. Some sports are already in competitions, like the Wolves’ football team which has already played in three games. The AIA and SUSD have emphasized that the safety of the athletes come first before anything else.

Quarantine made everyone a little bit more susceptible to injuries.

— Aiden Ransick

Though excited at the prospect of returning, game readiness and injuries remain players’ and coaches’ chief concerns; teams only were given about three weeks of training to prepare for the season.

“Injuries are always a part of sports but I do not think COVID-19 will cause more injuries” said Mr. Cervantez, DM’s athletic director and 11th grade administrator. “Athletes are getting the same amount of time they also get to prepare for their sport when it’s in season.” 

However, Ransick said “rushing into the season definitely would make injuries a concern.” Liam Ducrocq, member of the DM Tennis team says “that quarantine made everyone a little bit more susceptible to injuries.”

While there have been some bumps in the road, like the DM football team having to postpone a game because of COVID-19 concerns, the return of high school sports is finally here.