Game on!

IBSA hosting a virtual event to benefit Welcome to America

Game+on%21

Isaac Williams, Staff writer

DM students are invited to a virtual game night happening from 4 to 5 p.m. Friday, February 12th

The trivia competition is hosted by IBSA Welcome to America (WTA) Committee  raise money for the organization. The entry fee is 3$ (5$ for pairs), and the winner will receive a $ gift card. All profits benefit WTA’s mission to help refugees.

Due to the current state of the world, find diversions from the stress of school, work, and other duties isn’t easy. Organizers said they hope the event will help distract students from the negativity in their lives–while supporting a worthy cause.

Welcome to America’s mission is to support refugees’ resettlement in Arizona. Refugees face a wide variety of difficult challenges in achieving self-sufficiency,” said IBSA student chair, Sophomore Esther Low.

These challenges include issues such as becoming familiar with their new country, securing an affordable place to live, learning about resources available to assist them in resettlement, finding and retaining employment, acquiring a new language, and learning how to access public health and behavioral health medical services.

The profits from this event will help people in need.

Students can always help the project more by donating or volunteering.

“We host drives like our computer drive this year,” said Low, “and fundraisers where everyone can attend to help refugees.” If you would like to learn more or donate to the WTA project, visit the Welcome to America website.

While this event is being put on by the IBSA, IB members aren’t the only ones welcome. Everyone is invited. Students, parents, and teachers are all welcome and appreciated. To register, visit touchbase.susd.org and follow the instructions below further information. If you have any questions, feel free to contact [email protected]